APPROACHES TO WRITING
At Blenheim Primary School, we use clear processes to develop writing from Nursery to Year 6. In the Foundation Stage and Year 1, the Talk for Writing programme is used to support children in being able to produce effective pieces of independent writing, through engaging the learners, planning clearly and writing for a purpose.
In Year 2 and Key Stage 2, the pupils are taught to use clear planning formats to organise writing and consider the purpose, audience and type of writing in great depth. The writing structures clearly identify how the teaching and learning of writing progresses across the key stage. Individual lessons are structured to provide pupils with opportunities to effectively plan, write, edit, redraft and publish their work.
Through these two approaches, we aim to develop our pupils as writers by:
- Treating children as writers, building on writing skills they have acquired and their knowledge of print from their environment
- Providing experiences where the children can acquire confidence and a positive attitude to writing
- Developing and sustaining writing skills by providing opportunities for children to write for a range of purposes and audiences
- Modelling writing skills, teaching children how to compose, amend and revise their writing
- Modelling metacognitive strategies to demonstrate how a writer thinks, whilst planning, writing and editing
- Teaching children to become critical readers of their own writing and the writing of their peers by using self and peer evaluation and checking their work independently for sense, accuracy and meaning
- Teaching grammar and punctuation in the context of the pupils’ own writing, as well as through discrete lessons
- Teaching children to develop their ability to organise and present imaginative and/or factual writing and poetry in different ways
- Teaching strategies for spelling to enable children to become confident and competent spellers.
Our Long Term plan is shown here, however this is currently under review and will be updated shortly.
Whilst we will still be using elements of these documents below, we are currently reviewing our writing structures across KS1 and KS2. These will be updated shortly.