P.E. and Sports Funding DATA
Swimming Data 2021-22
In accordance with the National Curriculum, children are provided with compulsory swimming lessons, which they undertake in year 4. Children attend weekly swimming lessons and every effort is made to ensure that they are water confident and are able to swim 25 metres where possible. Additional swimming lessons were put in place for our Y6 children in 2021-22 in order to catch up on missed lessons as a result of the Covid 19 pandemic.
What is the current position?
- Currently 60% of children can confidently and proficiently swim at least 25 metres.
- 60% of children can use a range of strokes effectively.
- Although children have been taught to perform safe self-rescue during swimming lessons, only 46% feel confident to say that they could do this.
What further action is needed to improve these figures?
- Additional lessons have been put in place for our current Y6 cohort for 2022-23, to catch up on missed swimming lessons caused by the Covid 19 pandemic.
- Class based activities based on the following:
Know the dangers on and under water
Effect(s) of cold water (for example - cold water shock)
Beach safety (lifeguard, flags, rip currents, waves etc.)
Shout and signal rescue