At Blenheim Primary School, we recognise the crucial importance of studying the English language. Improved performance in reading, writing and spoken language will enable our pupils to express their thoughts and ideas more fluently and accurately. This will also provide them with knowledge and skills, which can be applied within other curriculum areas, while enriching their lives beyond school.
The teaching and learning of language skills are given a high priority in our school.
Our overarching aim for English is to promote high standards of language and literacy - equipping pupils with a strong command of English in both spoken and written forms, whilst developing our pupils’ love of literature, through widespread reading for enjoyment.
We aim for our pupils to:
- Read fluently and demonstrate a good understanding of what they have read
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in a range of contexts for different purposes and audiences
- Use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate on and clearly explain their understanding and ideas
- Be competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
At Blenheim Primary School we encourage all children to become independent learners and be confident in all strands of learning. The children will be given opportunities to speak in a variety of contexts and learn to listen to and value the views of others.